Thursday, April 3, 2014

Graphicstudio: The Museum Scene

I've been to art museums from the city of brotherly love to the city of light and have seen everything from DaVinci's anatomical drawings to Warhol's Brillo boxes. I am no art expert. I know that I like the impressionists much more than rococo, but most "modern art" tends to leave me in the dust. What drew me to Christian Marclay's "Klak Klak Klak," was probably the similarities I could draw between the piece and one of my very favorite art forms that I'll never be able to draw from any Manet: Comic books. This piece looks like a comic book firefight to me. It looks like bullet holes chaotically splattered across the canvas filled with the a gunshot like onomatopoeia. I did a little extra digging and I quite like Marclay's work, I've never heard of him before and I'm glad this assignment introduced me.
I'm a pretty big fan of art museums. I spent a spring break up in Philadelphia for a Van Gogh exhibit and walked across Paris to visit le Musee d'Orsay. The Tampa Museum of Art looks pretty cool on the outside, but I am wildly underwhelmed by it on the inside. It doesn't feel almost sacred like other art museums do. Maybe that's a good thing.

One of Christian Marclay's pieces is being featured on the Tampa Museum of Art's website as cover art for the Graphicstudio.

No comments:

Post a Comment